Monday, April 21, 2008

More of my favorite things

And the list goes on...
  • Camp reunions. OK, so maybe this is one of my favorite things anywhere in the world, but I really enjoyed the ECWA Camp Youth Alive reunion last weekend.
  • The way Nigerians can double the capacity of just about any space. Think the taxi can only hold 5 people? Try 9. Truck bed only holds 4 big bags of rice, hahaha...more like 12. As long as the wheels can turn, you’re in business. The “25 seater” blue whale pictured above held over 40 people on all the shuttles I did with it for our camp reunion. Here’s the inside only ½ full:
  • Driving ridiculously large vehicles. Check out this beast of a bus I drove last weekend!
  • Being appreciated for trying to dress Nigerian. I may look ridiculous with a head tie on, but I get loads of compliments. So, I dress culturally in part to shamelessly boost my ego:)

Here the Nigerians had a timed head-tie wrapping contest at the camp reunion. When put to a vote, I won...but I think that’s just b/c they enjoyed seeing this gear on a baturiya’s head.

  • Nigerian’s improv skills. I know I wrote this in my last newsletter, but I had to re-emphasize just how fantastic they are.
  • My roomate, Corinne Gnepf!! I have been super slack about updating on my new living arrangement...and it's no longer news since I've been in this new apt for 3 months...but I really adore both the new flat and my flat-mate. She's wonderful, Swiss, and patient with me.
  • Driving. Could be narcissistic, but it feeds my adventuresome hunger. See video a friend of mine took. When you get to minute 2.33, he’s driving right near my neighborhood. I drive/walk these streets every day. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6M4-BwzIjw
  • Speaking in Hausa to Nigerians. They are so freakin’ encouraging that I want to keep going. Especially during the Hausa church services I’ve been visiting to raise awareness for camp. As I walk up to the mic and everyone’s thinking, “Ugh, she’s probably going to speak in English and I’m not going to be able to understand her! Doesn’t she know this is a HAUSA service?!” And then, I bust out my Hausa and the entire congregation (usually well over 500) stares at me for a second, and then breaks into a huge smile. Inevitably, I invoke waves of laughter and hopefully, a little more interest in the camping ministry.
  • Random statues. Enough said.
  • Women throwing down some awesome beats on these snazzy drums. If I’m close enough to see them during a church service, I just stare and attempt to mimic one instrument at a time on my leg. Someday, I’m going to ask a lady to teach me. Heck, I already have the women’s fellowship uniform, right?
  • packages from home. I let out a squeal of delight every time I get one, no matter what's inside. THANK YOU to all who've sent something!
  • Swimming in potentially suspect water. Don't worry, this lake was tested...or so we hear.
  • Talking to my dear boyfriend once a week when all the communication gods smile upon us and we have a clear connection. Even though long distance (Nigeria-Guinea) relationships could potentially make my list of "least favorite things," I'm super grateful for our almost weekly talks. And yes, I've gotta put a picture for this one b/c he's so great:

As you might be able to detect, this list could go on for a while. BUT, I'll stop now so I can get this one posted and move on to more challenging, perhaps thought-provoking blogs. But my last favorite thing of living here in Nigeria, is getting comments on my blog! So drop me a line if you read this thing and let me know YOUR favorite things about life right now.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved the video of riding through Jos, its really cool to see where you are at. I love reading your blog and keeping up with you, school is about to end and finals start next monday! then a fun 200 mile canoe trip with some friends before i head out to CAMP!!!

Rene you are awesome and such an inspiration to me!

Robert Dawson

Anonymous said...

Aww...I miss you Renoodle!

You look amazing in that pic where you're speaking in front of a church -- I want that dress! LOL

Love ya!

Courtney Beth said...

I love, love, love the blog! Can't say it enough - you're fantastic! Things are good here, just settling into the new house and discovering all my housewifely talents, like growing tomatoes. However, the jury's still out on my success. I definitely have Skype plans - hopefully, I'll be able to take a week off soon and we can hook it up. Love you much!

Anonymous said...

You are one of my favorite things :)

Anonymous said...

Aren't I one of your favorite things?

Anonymous said...

Miss Renizzle, you are one of my favorite things!