Sunday, December 23, 2007

Good cheer

"Gloria" and I
At this particular juncture, my time is a bit limited, as is my power supply (NEPA is off, big surprise), so I just want to share a few pictures of the past week's festivitites leading to the holiday. I imagine that this time of year has you quite busy as well so you're checking my blog i between batches of sugar cookies, so hopefully the brevity isn't scorned. Unless of course you're bored out of your mind and you're hoping I'll have some tantilizing story to entertain you. Uh...sorry about that;) Little drummer boy/René

These pictures of nigerian's are all from this Christmas celebration for one of the SIM ministries here in Jos. These kids were kicked out of their homes for one reason or another and live in this village community called Gyaro under the guidance and structure of SIM City Ministries. At the celebration, each "family group" presented a song, memory verses, and/or a little drama. I wish I could share a video but blogger isn't cooperating with me. You're just going to have to trust me that the afternoon was priceless. The girl's group presenting their memory verse from Luke 2.

And what holiday season would be complete without a little caroling? Some of us singing, smiling, singles went out to various houses on compounds and then the hospital in an attempt to bring tidings of great joy to many people. It was a blast and well-received just about everywhere we went. "Felize Navidad" didn't go over quite like we hoped :)

Here's our crew at the hospital with your's truly dressed up as Father Christmas. Can you believe that some kids DIDN'T buy that I was Santa Clause?! They pulled on my beard and said, "That's not real!" Most broke out into a huge smile at the sight of me, especially when I started Ho-ho-hoing.

Thursday was actually Salah, a Muslim holiday so some of us took off to go play and conquer this area. It's called _[some african sounding name]_ Tribal Rocks. Lots of fun, sun, and battlewounds were had.
As they say in Nigeria: HAPPY (not merry) CHRISTMAS!!




No comments: