Saturday, December 1, 2007

Breaks and 'Boons

Have you ever begun a letter, email, or, let’s say, blog, half a dozen times and can’t seem to finish it? Welcome to my life. There’s seem to be big fat road barrier keeping me from posting a blog. Tonight, however, I’ve committed not to go to bed until I can post something. Thing is…I’ve been having a hard time deciding what to write about. So I’m going to go with what I have the coolest pictures of first. Worth a thousand words…even those I should have writted a week ago? Good.

Right-o. So over a week ago, I officially finished my Hausa language training! **the crowd goes wild** To celebrate, our class decided to take a trip to Yankari Game Reserve for a little safari and time in the natural warm springs. The safari was decent (of note we saw lions, crocs, and bush bucks), but didn’t change my life. Way more exciting were the baboons and warthogs roaming around the premises terrorizing patrons. (pictured is one trying to intimidate George into turning over his cookie. Didn't work) I’m serious, the ‘boons opened our sliding windows to our rooms and came in, looking for food. The guys that were with us came back from swimming to find 8 baboons in their room, lounging around, having polished off all the food they had. They may look cute, but they were pretty vicous. Of couse, that’s what made it exciting. The warm springs (constant 31 C) also made the trip worth it. Check out the pictures…absolutely beautiful.

I returned from the trip refreshed and ready to dive back into full time camp ministry. It’s been difficult the past few weeks trying to do intensive language study as well as remaining involved with the daily ministry needs. Now, I’m focused and excited about writing materials for next years camp, raising awareness, and connecting with former and future camp staff. Time to jump out and get my feet wet!

Here's another classic René-favorite, leaping from something ridiculous into water. The 3 pictures before this one were of me standing on top, pondering whether the potential gain outweighed the potential loss...rational thinking gave way to my physics estimates and well, you can see what happend.

Word for the day: Na gama!
= I finished!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

pretty awesome blog :-)

Anonymous said...

luvly!!! I'm Nigerian (from Gombe) and guess what? I go to ECWA (in Abuja)! Right now I'm in the US studying in Amherst College............your blogs awesome, and I think its great u learnt hausa! I went to Yankari a few years ago....the water's awesome!

Good luck with your mission in Nigeria!

keep trustin!