Friday, September 5, 2008

525,600 minutes

525,600 moments so dear.
525,600 minutes
how do you measure,
measure a year?
(from musical Rent)
In rainstorms, in sunsets, in head-ties
In bowls of rice
In smiles, in potholes, in laughter, in mosquito bites.

On my 1-year anniversary to arriving in Nigeria, it seemed only too perfect that I was found out in rural Nigeria, rounding up a week of camp. There I was, rejoicing with all the youth who had made life-changing decisions, commitments, and discoveries; heartedly belting out the national anthem as the flag was lowered; leading the group in one final rendition of our camp theme song (which was "Days of Elijah, btw...can you believe it BW/DR friends?!?!); and sweating buckets under the hot African sun as some VIP's said some (read, "way too many") words to the campers...and I couldn't have been happier. It struck me today I saw the realization of the eager anticipation that I felt a year ago when I left Greensboro, NC, USA. I remember being a little sad, a little nervous, but mostly absolutely certain that Jos, Nigeria was where I was supposed to be. Now, 12 months, 52 weeks, 366 days,8,784 hours, and yes, 525,600 minutes later... what's the scoop?

There are still so many things about Nigeria that hit me the same today as they did a year ago:
I still think Nigerian women have the absolute greatest laugh in the world. I still marvel and the variety and quantity of livestock carried on motorbikes. My heart both smiles and aches as I see half-naked (sometimes fully naked) toddlers playing outside with no parents in view. I still marvel at the unadulterated green beauty of the landscape. I still wonder what the men sitting idle on the side of the road think about all day. When I see women bent over, working away, I wonder if they're ever self-conscious about having their butts in the air. I'm still grateful for the mild weather of Jos, still savoring the rainstorms, still frustrated with inconsiderate drivers, and still exhausted from a day in the market. I still shake my head in disbelief at the lack of planning, ridiculous dressing (not cultural stuff, but a dude wearing stylish sunglasses with a kid's winter hat complete with ears), and selfless, unending hospitality. Basically, I'm still enamored with this place.

But then again, I can also see how I've been inculcated to Nigeria:
Women with babies on their back and full baskets/basins/plates on their heads doesn't cause my mouth to drop open quite as wide in amazement. I no longer hear the constant cacophony of car horns. I fully expect to be cut off if I'm in the least bit genourous with the space between me and the car in front of me. If traveling I know to pack food because there are no fast-food joints to stop at and what food you might find...you probably don't want to find. And to stop for a "bathroom break" while driving, it means I'm not looking for a gas station, but rather a bush or large ditch. I expect just a few hours of electricity a day and could locate matches and a candle in my sleep. I've learned to keep a "wrapper" handy in case I'm in pants or shorts in the house and a Nigerian stops by to visit. My Nigerian sisters have taught me how to limit my friendliness toward men in the market and I no longer get nervous at the prospect of haggling a little for a better price. Though I've rarely done this all the other places I live, I now routinely lock doors when I'm home, even in the daytime. I don't bat at eye when numerous men in uniforms toting big guns are on the streets around my house. On the other hand, knowing the propensity of corruption, my stomach knots up anytime my vehicle is stopped by "Road Safety" patrol. I have developed a profound appreciation for the missionary family here in Jos, having felt the support it provides when I needed it most. I now instinctively give a little curtsy when I greet someone and bend extra low when that someone is an elder. I've come to take great joy in reading the news, hearing the voices of those I love via Skype or the phone, and drinking tea in the mornings. After a year, I've discovered that deep, rich friendships be built and true worship can be given despite cultural differences. And though I could go on, the main thing I've learned in a year...is that I still have SO much to learn.

So I apologize if the list-y format of this blog wasn't captivating. This blog might very well have served me way more than inform/entertain/update you. If you've made it this far, you deserve something...like a promise that the next post will be about adventures in the desert. "Inshallah" ("God willing").

How do YOU measure a year?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rene-
I was wondering if you'd like to fill out my Christian Character reccomendation for Houghton College via e-mail. Let me know if this is something you'd be interested in. I really would like you to do it. Love you lots-xoxo.