Monday, January 28, 2008

Kamp Kurmin Musa!!


At long last, I was able to be a part of my first Nigerian youth camp January 6-13th, and it was INCREDIBLE. I've delayed making this post in part because I really don't know where to begin or how to describe it. Not only was this my first camp, but it was the first time ECWA Camp Youth Alive (ECYA) had held a camp in this little village called Kurmin Musa. Kurmin Musa is a ginger farming community with little else going on so when we came in, everyone knew about it. Plus, I was the only bature (white person) for miles. I'm sure other white people have been there, but it's been a long time since one stayed all week. I've gotten fairky used to the staring and kids calling out "baturiya! baturiya!" in Jos, but this week was a whole new level of celebrity-ness. Regardless of what I was doing or what time it was, the neighborhood kids would gather around the porch, grass, or windows and takes notes on what this strange bature was doing. Honestly, I often forget that I look any different than everyone else because we're all doing the same thing and THEY don't look strange to me, so why should I look strange to them? Apparently just the site of my white skin is cause for hours of entertainment for these kids. (Note the picture of the kids in the window. This was pretty common).
Back to the camp. Though this was a YOUTH camp, all the campers were between 16-25. In Nigeria, if you're not married, you're still considered a "youth" so our ministry usually divides into two age groups: junior (12-16) and senior (16-28). Seems pretty crazy since 16-28 would never be an age group in the US, right? Wasn't a problem here. We had 38 campers and 11 staff as "hut leaders" (the equivalent of cabin counselors) from Kurmin Musa. 6 of us drove in from Jos as the administrative staff, in charge of activities, sports, crafts, hut chiefs, etc. Oh, and let me not forget some of my favorite people at camp, the cooks (see picture). These 8 women were nothing short of delightful and served up some of the best Nigerian food I've had yet! Several afternoons I sat down by the fire with them chatting about all the little things women chat about. Once they found out I have a special man in my life, we had a hysterical conversation about how I need to send a vehicle to take them the airport and then a plane for them to come to America so they can cook for my wedding. I tried to explain that I am a missionary, and consequently, don't exactly have a private jet to send out to bring them to my wedding. Not sure if they believe me. But, I wouldn't mind having them cook me some food any day. Truth be told, I was a little nervous about eating Nigerian food all week because the high concentration of palm oil, in just about every dish, can do a number on your GI tract. But this stuff was GOOD and agreed with me the entire week, save one night involving a frantic dash through the dark to the "toilet." (see picture) I was never so grateful to get to a hole in the ground. This may seem rustic, but it's typical 'round here. When I went to visit some neighbors' homes, their toilet was set up pretty much the same way. Once the whole filled up, they'd just move the little thatch enclosure. As for bathing, it was all bucket bath style. Part-way through the week we were able to rig up a tap that worked most of the time so if you felt like a little "yi wanka"(= bathing) you'd take your bucket, fill up, and find some secluded place, like the girls' washroom, pictured below. Casting aside all inhibitions along with your clothes, you then stand there and do your best at alternative between scooping water with a cup and lathering up. This was one of the reasons I got my hair braided...didn't have to endure cold water over my head. It was all wonderfully refreshing though, especially after game time.

last. Singing came joyfully from the heart, notes taken during speaker's talks, and engagement in the hut Bible studies. Hearing some of the testimonies at the campfire on the last night blew my mind with their sincerity and openness. Several shared that they were expecting something completely different, but learned so much that they couldn't wait to go home and tell others. I could go on and on about some of the things campers shared, but one of the most striking thing I heard was how this camp was the first time many had heard anything about spending time alone with the Lord, doing personal devotions...and these were mostly church-going Nigerians. One of the foci for ECYA is discipleship so we were thrilled to hear so many campers and staff express a desire to be involved in discipleship after camp. THEN an older gentleman that played a big role in getting ECYA to Kurmin Musa, offered to head up a discipleship program. Personally, I'm eager to come back next year and see what all the Lord has done in these lives. In my own life, even more rewarding than the food and times of bathing, were the changed lives I got to witness. From campers and staff alike, I saw noticeable differences from their first day to the, there was incredible confirmation that right now, youth camping ministry is totally my element, my calling, my passion. Somehow, amidst the snakes, scorpions, stares, Hausa conversations, and bucket baths, I felt just as comfortable here that I did serving at Camp Brookwoods in NH, USA. As Max Lucado says, "“There's inexplicable joy and peace at the wedding of my trust and God's faithfulness."
If you are interested in contributing financially to this ministry and helping more youth attend such a life-changing camp, follow the link on the right. ECYA relies on contributions from generous folks like yourself to make camp happen each time and right now we're starting to raise subsidy for the 2008 season. Email me if you have any questions!

1 comment:

Barbara said...

Rene; I'm planning on a missions trip to Brazil in Feb. 2009, and I'm so excited, and your story has inspiried me even more. I'm so glad that you had such a great experience, only hope mine is as great, and I'm sure it will be!
"For the glory of God"
"For the joy of the Lord is my strength" Neh 8:10
In Christ, Barbara