Sunday, September 9, 2007

Let me count the ways...

Home in Nigeria, how do I love thee, let me count the ways:
(see those windows down on the left...that's my place!)
-I love how this compound isn't so much several separate apartments, but rather one big house for us single missionaries. As of today, 6 of the spaces are occupied by other single folks like myself and one couple affectionately called, "Mom and Dad." We all float in and out of each other's apartments with much more comfortably than I've ever seen in the states.
-I love how my gate key only opens one (red one in picture above) of the 3 gates to the compound. Even more fun how one door can't be closed from the outside so when I come in that one gate, I still have to walk around to my back door to get in. (back door pictured w/ me)



- I REALLY love the garden out my back door complete with mango, avocado and guava trees. There are also some really pretty plants and flowers but I'm not horticulturalist...especially not in Africa. You'd love it though mom and Russ!

-I love how I've inherited all this random household goods left behind by previous short-termers (2 years or less). Included in the loot is a REALLY old painting of some fisherman's docking station in 1920 Ireland, an adorable tea & saucer set for two, and my first kerosene stove. This last item is glorious seeing as the power goes on and off quite frequently. More on that later.


-I love my inline water filter for the way it methodically extracts all the yuckies and then gently drips into my nalgene. I certainly don't have to worry about it gushing everywhere! (see the white cylindrical thing pictured near the sink. yay for no water-born parasites!)

-I love our guard dogs, the lizards (pictured) who stand watch, ready to snap up any perpetrating spider or insect. I haven't see very many at all yet, for which I am quite grateful. I think rainy season keeps them at bay.
- I love the guards at the gate who often are resting if I get back later than 7pm, but who'll greet me with the biggest smile. One of them was the first number I put into the phone I got today. He also took this picture of Corinne and myself outside the gate. What a guy!



- I love how close I live in relation to my office (I could throw a stone and hit it...easily), the ECWA headquarters (out the back gate and across the street), and the center of town with the market (totally within walking distance...unless you're carrying a palate of eggs, bananas, outlet converters, flour, and vegetable cleaner...then you might want to hail a taxi).


And oh, the thoughtful color-coordination in the living room (pictured), 6:30 am squeaky gate opening, elegant (I think) mosquito net above my bed, and tin roofs all around that become marvelous instruments for the rain showers...all these things have endeared this place to me. I still haven't quite come to grips with the fact that I'm setting up residence here for two years (that's what my visa says), but "home" has escaped my lips already when referring to my apartment. Really...you should come see it :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great pictures. love the "Gaurd Dogs"

Anonymous said...

Oops. Guard Dogs

Unknown said...

Thanks for being a good communicator. God bless

Blessings

Uncle Bob and Aunt Donna

Courtney Beth said...

It looks so homey! Love you much!

Sarabeth said...

I love your style of writing. And how excited you are over lizards.

Oh, and I love you too. =)